Welcome to Coach French's HomepageTeacher Name: Mark FrenchSchool Email Address: email@example.comSubjects I Teach: Public Safety___________________________________________________________Hello,
Welcome to Ola Middle School’s Public Safety Class. I am looking forward to teaching this class. I have five years of law enforcement experience as a Security Policeman in the Air Force and I believe that the study of public safety is an excellent way to learn about our role in the community, the state, and the nation. This course will be designed to support various academic curriculums as well as an introduction to Public Safety. Students will learn about various law enforcement agencies at the local, state, and national levels. They will also learn about other emergency services such as firefighting and paramedics. Students will receive training in communicating with diverse groups, conflict resolution, basic law and government.
The following units will be taught throughout course.
ILPSCS-2 Careers in Law, Public Safety, Corrections, and Security
ILPSCS-5 Structure of Public Safety Agencies
ILPSCS-7 Constitutional Law related to Law and Public Safety
ILPSCS-8 Report Writing
ILPSCS-10, 11, 12 Disaster Preparedness: CERT (Citizens Emergency Response Training) or similar program, First Aid and Emergency Preparedness.
ILPSCS- 13 Basic Firefighting
ILPSCS- 14 Search and Rescue
ILPSCS- 15 Crisis Management
ILPSCS- 17 Terrorism
My e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.
Practice and Assessment
Much of our class will be activity based, but students will be required to take notes and to study those notes. There will also be homework and classwork assignments. These activities will have a practical application outside of the school. This class is designed to be fun, informative, and engaging. It is designed to allow students to explore service oriented careers and to obtain skills that could be critically valuable within your home, family and community even at the middle grades age.
1. Students will need some type of notebook. It can be a part of their academic notebook if they can include a divider for this subject. There will be notebook checks periodically, but I will not take them away from students at any time.
2. Both Pen and Pencil.
3. Crayons or colored pencils: Not every day.
4. Scissors: Not every day.
5. Notebook paper
6. We will be going outside occasionally. I will let students know prior to those days so they can bring a pair of old shoes if they do not want to get new shoes dirty.
The grading procedure for Public Safety:
- Practice (class and home assignments)----25%
- Assessments----60% (this includes written tests, projects, and class notebook)
- Final Exam--------15%