Dutchtown High School is located in the Dutchtown settlement in the old Sixth Militia District of Henry County. Dutchtown was settled in the middle 19th Century by German (Deutsche) settlers of the Conkle, Ahls and Exum families. Their neighbors began to refer to the area as Dutchtown. Dutchtown is located along the old McDonough-Fayetteville Stagecoach Road, now called Jonesboro Road. The stagecoach stop was across the road from County Line Church.
Dutchtown School is located on the site of the Ahls Farm. The establishment of the original Dutchtown School is recorded in the Board of Education minutes on March 7, 1904. Dutchtown School was one of 85 schools located in Henry County in the early 1900’s. Many of the early schoolhouses were constructed in the settlements by the community at the expense of the parents and other interested citizens. In the late 19th and early 20th Century the schools in this area were Dutchtown, Progress, Hopewell, Mount Olive, Mount Carmel and Liberty Hill. Historic Post Offices were Fosterville and Babb’s Mill.
Gene E. Morris, Jr.
Henry County Historian