Teacher Name: Coach Norman
Subjects I Teach: Physical Education
Hello! I am Coach Norman. This is my 13th year at Stockbridge Elementary. I am originally from Moultrie, Georgia. Moultrie is located in the southwestern part of the state. I graduated from the University of Georgia with a degree in Physical Education. Also, I received a Master's Degree from Central Michigan University with a degree in Instructional Education. Away from work I enjoy various hobbies in my spare time. I really enjoy going to University of Georgia sporting events (especially football), and taking in a Braves game every now and then. I love the outdoors. Hunting is one of my most enjoyable pastimes. Hunting quail is my favorite and I enjoy being in the woods with my dogs. Also, taking a vacation to the Smoky Mountains is relaxing and peaceful to me. I enjoy teaching our students different types of skills and games at PE. My goal is to make sure that every child is active and fully engaged in the activities at PE. Also, I want our students to learn how to respect their bodies by living a healthy lifestyle outside of the classroom.
Parents in order to make PE fun and safe for our students, please encourage your child to wear athletic shoes (tennis shoes). Athletic shoes provide better foot and ankle support when students are running, jumping, skipping, hopping, dodging, and changing directions. Dress shoes, flip flops, sandals, and boots are not safe for PE. Our students are at a greater risk injuring their feet, ankles, or legs when wearing these type of shoes. Please learn your child's PE schedule in order to make PE fun and safe for them.
The first week of school in PE the students will learn the rules and procedures of PE class. Then the next week the students will learn their daily stretches and exercises, and learn how to line up in their running lines for cardiovascular endurance. Also, the students will be learning how to run, skip, gallop, and hop the correct way. During the first few weeks of PE, the main focus will be rules and procedures, stretches and exercises, and loco-motor skills.
Assigment For Students While School is Closed from March 16th- and until school reopens.
Students during these next few weeks away from school please continue to do your regular stretching and exercise routine that we do at the beginning of Physical Education class. After stretching and exercising, please do your locomotor skills such as running, skipping and hopping.
Activity for May 4th-May 8th (Balloon Striking).
For this activity you will need one balloon. Follow the numbered steps:
1) Tap the balloon with the right palm of your hand up to 10 times. After each tap catch the balloon. Then do the same with the left palm of your hand. Remember after each tap catch it.
2) Tap the balloon with the right palm of your hand five consecutive times without stopping, and then do the same with your left hand. After five times with each hand, then try for 10 consecutives with each hand without stopping.
3) Tap the balloon with your right knee up to five times. After each knee tap catch the balloon. Then do the same with your left knee.
4) Tap the balloon with your right knee five consecutive times without stopping, and then do the same with your left knee.
5) Tap the balloon with your right foot up to five times. After each tap catch the balloon. Then do the same with your left foot.
6) Tap the balloon with your right foot five consecutive times without stopping. Then do the same with your left foot.
7) Tap the balloon five consecutive times with your right shoulder and then catch the balloon. Then do the same with your left shoulder.
8) Tap the balloon five consecutive times with the top of your head and then catch the balloon.