Welcome to Mrs. Hammer's web pageTeacher Name: Molly HammerSchool Email Address: email@example.comProgram I Teach: Exceptional Student Education - Interrelated for Kindergarten and First GradeSubjects I Teach: Co-teach English/Language Arts and Math for Kindergarten and First Grade___________________________________________________________Welcome Message:
For the 2020-2021 school year, I will be teaching the Exceptional Student Education (ESE) Kindergarten and First Grade Interrelated Program. I have been teaching for 27 years in various states, including Michigan, Colorado, Florida, and Georgia. I received my Bachelor of Elementary Education degree from Alma College, a private, Liberal Arts College located in Alma, Michigan. While teaching in Colorado, I obtained my Master’s degree in Special Education – Affective Needs at the University of Northern Colorado, located in Greeley, Colorado. Recently, I obtained by Specialist degree in Early Childhood Education from Georgia State. For my Specialist degree I was required to conduct an extensive research project and I chose to focus on the benefits of the Reader’s Workshop model in an Elementary School.
As a veteran teacher, I have worked in Self-Contained classrooms for Autism and Emotional/Behavioral Disorders in grades K-5th, Resource classrooms in grades K-5th, as well as Co-teaching in grades K-3rd. I also developed and implemented an alternative school based special education program for Mesa County Valley School District 51 in Grand Junction, Colorado, which went beyond a self-contained classroom in that it provided therapeutic components on a daily basis within the elementary school setting for students in grades 3rd-5th.
- I believe every child has value and arrives at school as a unique individual with individual needs.
- I value and celebrate differences in children.
- I believe children flourish under a strong sense of belonging and I strive to create a loving, safe, trusting community in which to learn.
- I believe that being part of a community means supporting, encouraging, and sharing both our successes and failures together.
- I believe children learn best in authentic settings and I strive to provide real life learning experiences within the classroom setting.
- I feel children need success in every domain and I strive to provide opportunities in all areas of life.
- I believe children learn academic and social skills best by instruction, modeling, role-playing, practicing, problem solving, and constructive feedback.
- I believe mistakes are opportunities for positive learning and that discipline means “to teach”, not to punish.
- I believe students need to be taught responsible choices.
- I believe students need to learn how to advocate for themselves.
- I believe teachers need to consistently use best practices based on current research to teach effectively.
I look forward to working with you and your child this school year!