Dear Parents or Guardians,
Welcome to the 2017-2018 school year! It is a pleasure to greet returning and new students to Pleasant Grove Elementary. The theme this school year is, “Magical Kingdom of Learning”. The focus this year is to engage all students into rigorous and explicit vocabulary and project-based STEM lessons.
As we anticipate another award winning school year, every staff member will be involved in promoting academic excellence, positive social interactions, and an appreciation for diversity. This school year, we are focused on increasing the use of technology and engineering within instruction, exceeding standards in reading and science, and improving students’ daily attendance. This will be accomplished with the one-to-one rollout of computers for all K-12 students in Henry County Schools. At PGE, students will continue to utilize ScootPad for homework assignments as well as a variety of Apps to enhance daily instruction.
This school year, we have partnered with Yule Forest, Lowe’s (Stockbridge), Georgia Tech, and Georgia Power. It is tradition at PGE to have huge parental support; this year, we are asking for all families to volunteer a minimum 5 hours in the school. The hours can be completed by volunteering regularly with PTO, School Council, or as a mentor. In addition, parents, grandparents, or guardians can volunteer the last week of every month in the media center, cafeteria, parent resource room or workroom. We are looking forward to working with you!
The safety and well-being of our students and staff is a high priority at PGE; it is imperative that all visitors adhere to the following safety procedures throughout the school year:
- All visitors must report to the main office to sign in and get a visitor’s badge upon entering the building.
- Students may arrive no earlier than 7:15 a.m. The tardy bell rings at 7:45 a.m. All tardy students must be signed by an adult in the front office.
- Early checkouts must take place by 2:00 p.m. All adults must present a picture ID when checking out a student. Students will not be allowed to leave the building with anyone who is not listed on the “yellow card”.
- The first week of school is exciting! Students may be escorted to classrooms during the first week of school. A “Kiss and Go” area in the front lobby has been designated for parents who would like to watch their child(ren) walk to class after the first week.
- Parent luncheons are encouraged with your child(ren). The “Stage Café” is designated for parent luncheons. We respect the quality time you are having with your child; therefore, other students who are friends/close family members are not allowed to join you on the stage.
- If your child is celebrating a birthday, cake/cupcakes may be served to the class during the last 15 minutes of the lunch period. To resume instructional time, your child must return to the classroom with their peers.
- Threats, bullying, and intimidation are prohibited in Henry County Schools. Students should report any violations to an adult (teacher, parent, counselor, or administrator). Reported incidents will be investigated and handled administratively.
- As a Title I Distinguished school, all families are required to complete a lunch form for the 2017-2018 school year.
- Hats, colored hair, toys, pocketknives, water guns, or anything that can be used as a weapon are not allowed on campus. Please review the Henry County Schools Handbook for approved dress codes, policies, and procedures.
Please discuss the aforementioned information with your child. If you have any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to contact an administrator or faculty member. Your input is valuable to us; therefore, there are several methods of communication you may utilize throughout the school year: Dojo, agenda, email, website, or scheduled conference.
Thank you in advance for your support as we strive to provide the very best educational experience to your family. Let’s have a magical school year……Go Wolves!
Mrs. T. Copper