Rock Spring Elementary GiftedGifted Support Teachers 1st - 5th GradesSarah GriffisAlicia Loughner2019-2020 Gifted Supply List1st Grade Gifted ~ Monday 9:50-2:152nd Grade Gifted ~ Tuesday 9:50-2:153rd Grade Gifted ~ Wednesday 10:30-2:154th Grade Gifted ~ Thursday 8:50-2:155th Grade Gifted ~ Friday 8:50-2:15Gifted Lunch is from 12:19-12:49.(3rd Grade Gifted will have a working lunch in the gifted classroom each Wednesday.)All gifted students will go to specials with their homeroom class at their normal specials time.
Gifted Cluster/Collaborative Model
- In a personalized learning environment all students work at their own pace and path through ELA and math standards. This allows for acceleration and/or the building of deeper knowledge.
- Students receive pre-assessments to determine areas for acceleration.
- PBL units are utilized to give all students access to higher depth of knowledge in science, social studies and ELA.
- Gifted students are placed in groups in a gifted certified teacher’s classroom or in a classroom with a teacher that plans each week with a gifted teacher.
- The gifted support teacher will pull students out to receive gifted resource services.
1st – 5th Gifted Resource
- All students will receive 225 minutes of resource each week.
- Each grade level will come to gifted class one full day each week.
- Mrs. Griffis and Mrs. Loughner will teach gifted students and provide choices in a variety of enrichment activities and units which may include STEM, coding, art exploration, project based learning, and authentic learning designed to deepen student learning and knowledge of content.
Testing for the gifted program occurs throughout the year. Students from kindergarten through 5th grade can also be referred for gifted testing by parents or teachers who see an indication that participation in gifted classes would be beneficial for that child.For students to be tested for gifted the students must first be referred by a parent or teacher. Then the students will be screened. This part consists of a team of teachers looking at the student's data in academic areas, creativity and motivation. Parents will then be notified if their child has qualified for testing and will need to sign and return an additional letter giving permission for testing. The students are tested in academics, mentalibilities, and creativity. A motivation checklist is also filled out by the student's teacher. Parents will be sent the testing results by mail after testing is completed.If you have any questions regarding the testing process please e-mail us. Thank-you!