ATTENDANCE AND TARDIES TO SCHOOL
Lea Wilhelm - Attendance Clerk
770-389-2784 ext 104
Benefits of daily attendance
By attending class regularly, your child is more likely to keep up with the daily lessons and assignments, and take quizzes and tests on time.
- Achievement: Students who attended school regularly were more likely to pass assessments than students who didn't attend school regularly.
- Being part of the school community: Just by being present at school, your child is learning how to be a good citizen by participating in the school community, learning valuable social skills, and developing a broader world view.
- The importance of education: Your commitment to school attendance will also send a message to your child that education is a priority for your family, going to school every day is a critical part of educational success, and that it's important to take your responsibilities seriously — including going to school.
When your child misses school:
- Our school rating is based upon students coming to school. If you want our school to have a positive school rating (which can drastically effect home values), students need to attend school daily.
- Contact the school immediately. The absence needs to be excused, and talk with your child's teacher to make sure your child doesn't fall behind on any of the lessons that she missed.
- Judge these situations carefully. Mandatory student attendance is a policy that we take seriously. Unexcused absences will go on a student's permanent record; the consequences of your child missing class can include falling behind on lessons, lower participation grades, and poorer performance on quizzes and tests.
- Keep in mind that public schools lose money when their students are absent. Henry County Schools receive money based on the number of students who attend each day. When a student misses just one day of school, the school loses money — imagine how much a school loses when many students miss many days throughout the year.
Please note that once students arrive at school, they are not permitted to leave the campus without authorization from the attendance office. Students with excessive tardies to school will be placed in ISS. Students will be placed in ISS for 2 days at the 6th tardy to school. Students will remain in ISS for the entire day.