http://www.wsbtv.com/s/community/high-q/ Ola vs Gilmer on High Q, January 10, 2015
First meeting August 26 room 325, 3:20 - 4:30Practices are Monday and Wednesday afternoons, 3:20 - 4:30
What is the OHS Academic Team?
The academic team consists of students in grades 9-12 who compete in teams of four against other high schools from the state and country. There are two levels of play: varsity for grades 9-12 and junior varsity for grades 9 & 10. Competition is usually in the form of 12-15 tournaments a year in Georgia and in the southeast US. Our competitive season runs from September through April. The year culminates with the State Championship Varsity and Junior Varsity Tournaments in the spring.
The team may also compete on WSB's High Q show.
What are the Requirements to Join?
1) A desire to work hard and to learn
2) A desire to have fun
3) Ability to work as a team
4) Annual dues of $20 for returning members and $30 for new members ($20 of which buys team shirt). (These figures DO NOT cover the cost of books, CD, and shirts you receive, but members will not be turned away due to genuine financial hardship.)
5) The commitment to attend practice
6) Willingness to complete assignments
7) Working in some capacity at our own tournament
8) Doing whatever is asked of you to benefit the team as a whole (for ex. fundraisers)
9) Good character
WHAT DO YOU GET OUT OF IT?
1) FUN TRIPS AND SOCIAL GATHERINGS AND PRACTICE
3) TRAVEL. TRIPS HAVE INCLUDED NASHVILLE, RALEIGH, COLUMBIA, AUSTIN, NEW ORLEANS, SAVANNAH
4) LEARNING, WHICH WILL HELP YOUR CLASS PERFORMANCE
5) THE OPPORTUNITY TO REPRESENT THE SCHOOL
6) TEAM AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
7) THE OPPORTUNITY TO EARN A VARSITY LETTER
What You Will Be Expected To Do
WHEN IS PRACTICE?
Practice happens all year, from August through April. Several practice sessions occur each week, before and after school. You are not expected to attend every practice, but you are expected to attend as many as possible (at least one or two per week) and to explain extended absences. Your commitment to practice will be rewarded with playing time in tournaments, invitations to travel, and personal development.
WHAT DO I STUDY?
Based on your interest and ability and team need, you will be asked to study a particular major (social studies, literature, or science) and a particular minor (mythology, art, music). You will be given study resources and will be expected to supplement them.
WHAT DO PARENTS HAVE TO DO?
Parents have an essential role in our success. They are asked to join and support the OHS Academic Team Boosters Club, which functions in the same manner as the Band Boosters or Sports Boosters. Parents are asked to support their students by helping them in their studies and in their practice and tournament schedules. Parents are asked to help with fundraisers. Parents are needed in a variety of capacities for our December tournament at OHS Parents are also genuinely encouraged to attend competitions as chaperones whenever possible. Parents have a tremendous role in our success, and success is not possible without their support.
Coach Jeff Burns
Ola High School
357 N Ola RD
McDonough GA 30252
Phone: 770 288 3222
Fax: 770 288 3230