General Benefit InformationHenry County Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package to all benefit eligible employees. The benefits package includes health and dental insurance at a group rate, $10,000 life insurance paid for by the school system, retirement packages, and other voluntary benefit options such as life, vision, specified illness, disability and legal insurance which are offered to benefit eligible employees at a reasonable cost. All employees may take advantage of payroll direct deposit. Additionally, benefit eligible employees receive an athletic pass to attend school sporting events.For additional information or questions that cannot be addressed by the detailed information on the website, please contact the Benefits Department at 770-957-6601.Benefit EligibilityEligibility for benefits is defined as follows:
- A teacher employed in a professionally certificated capacity, working 50% of the time or more but not less than 18 hours a week, or
- A service employee working a non-certificated position covered under the Teacher Retirement system who is at least 60% of the time but not less than 20 hours week, or
- An employee participating in the Public School Employees Retirement System, working at least 60% but not less than 15 hours a week.
Eligibility for 401(k) and 457 is available to all employees.
1-877-342-7339Georgia Breeze Savings and Retirement
www.GaBreeze.ga.govOverview of Employee Benefits:
All schools are accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.Retirement InformationTeachers Retirement SystemAll employees who are employed one-half time or more in a covered position of the state's school system. The current required employee contribution is 6.00%. This includes all of the following individuals: Teachers, Administrators, Supervisors, Clerical Workers, and Paraprofessionals. Visit their website at www.trsga.com
- $10,000 life insurance policy is provided for each full-time employee by the system. Additional voluntary life insurance is also available through Ga Breeze at group rates.
- Membership for all teachers, administrators, secretaries, paraprofessionals, and clerks in Georgia Teacher Retirement System is mandatory (6 percent gross salary). Membership is mandatory in Public Schools Employees Retirement System (PSERS) for bus drivers, maintenance, and school nutrition employees. The contribution for PSERS is $4 or $10 depending on the employee's hire date.
- Membership in the Social Security system is mandatory. Henry County is required to withhold 7.65 percent and match 7.65 percent of gross wages for Social Security and Medicare.
- All benefit eligible employees earn sick leave days each month as follows: 180-day employees - 11.25 days per year, 190-day employees - 12.50 days per year, 220-day employees - 13.75 days per year, and 244-day employees - 15.00 days per year.
- Several options are available to employees for group-rate saving on life, disability, medical, dental, tax sheltered annuities, and other benefits.
- Complimentary passes to athletic events hosted by Henry County Schools are provided to employees and retirees.
Public School Employees Retirement SystemPermanent employees who are eligible to participate in the PSERS and work at least 60% time necessary but not less than 15 hours a week. Examples: Bus Drivers, Maintenance, Mechanics and School Nutrition Assistants.Employee RetirementAny new employee who is a vested member (10 years of service or more) with Employee's Retirement System (ERS) may elect to remain a member of ERS. The election to stay under ERS must be made in writing to the Board of Trustees no later than 60 days of first becoming employed by Henry County Schools in a position covered by Teacher's Retirement System. This election is irrevocable. Please contact the Benefits Office for more information For further information you may contact Employees Retirement System at 404-350-6300 or visit their website at http://www.ers.ga.gov/default.htmlMedicalDental, Vision, Life, Disability, Legal, Spending Accounts, etc.
Credit UnionGeorgia United Credit Union770-493-4328Frequently Asked QuestionsWhen do my benefits become effective and/or end?Your benefits become effective the first day of the calendar month following completion of 30 days of employment. Benefits are prepaid one month in advance from a payroll deduction. Benefits continue one month following the last payroll check from which insurance deductions are taken. However, if you work even one day in a month you are eligible for a deduction that month and your benefits will continue until the end of the following month.Is open enrollment the only time I can change my coverage?In most situations, yes open enrollment is the only time an employee may change their insurance coverage. However, in the event of a qualified event the employee may make changes to their coverage. Qualifying events are:1) Marriage
3) Birth/Adoption/Legal Guardianship
5) Termination of coverage through spouse's employment.
6) Acquisition of coverage through spouse's new employmentPlease remember that this list shows the most common qualifying events. Please contact the Benefits Office regarding your particular situation.How do I change my name with Henry County Schools?If there is a name change, a copy of your corrected Social Security card must be attached to the Name and Address change form.I’m not happy with the health insurance plan I chose and I have accepted a position with another Georgia school system. Can I change my plan when I fill out the paperwork at the new system?In most cases, you will have to keep the same plan. You will need to make any changes during our open enrollment prior to your leaving. This also means dropping coverage.
What if I need to change my tax withholding allowances?I just got married and need to add my spouse to my coverage, what do I do?You have 30 days following the date of marriage to add your new spouse to State Health (www.myshbpga.adp.com) and/or Ga Breeze (www.gabreeze.ga.gov). Please visit the appropriate website to declare the event and update your coverage.