Advanced Placement Spanish Language and Culture Course Description & Syllabus 2020-2021
Sra. Thurston (room 111) email@example.com
*This syllabus provides pertinent information about class policies and expectations. You are responsible for reading it, understanding it, and following it.
*Please, sign up for Remind ASAP. This will be the best/fastest way to communicate with me. @b8834afd
*I will be LIVE daily, providing lessons, activities and practice through Google Meet
*You must log in to my Google Meet during your assigned class period and complete and turn in your ticket out the door in order to be counted present for your time in Spanish.
**Even though we are not face-to-face, communication between student and teacher is of utmost importance. Please use remind to communicate with me, pertaining any issues or helpful insights.
Online etiquette/Teacher expectations:
- Students should try to be in a quiet/distraction free area for class period as best they can.
- Students should be dressed appropriately during live meetings. Please, avoid sleepwear or beach apparel.
- Students should not eat or drink anything other than water when on camera (you will have time at the end of class to snack/eat.
- Students should remove distractions like social media and texting during live meetings.
- Students should be respectful and courteous at all times.
- Remember, you are in class and you should be aware that live class sessions will be recorded.
- Students should participate when called upon during live class sessions.
In AP Spanish Language and Culture, the primary objective is for students to further develop the proficiency necessary in speaking, listening, writing, reading, and grammar to be successful on the AP Spanish Language and Culture Exam. All students enrolled in this course are expected to take the AP Language and Culture Exam on Tuesday, May 11th. When communicating, students in the AP Spanish Language and Culture course are expected to speak in the target language at all times.
The 6 AP Spanish Language and Culture Exam themes:
Families and Communities
Personal and Public Identities
Beauty and Aesthetics
Science and Technology
Course Skills: Students should be able to do all of the below pertaining to the 6 themes:
- Comprehend written, audio, audiovisual & visual text.
- Make interdisciplinary and cultural connections.
- Interpret the content of written or audio text.
- Communicate interpersonally by speaking with others.
- Communicate interpersonally by writing to others.
- Communicate through spoken presentations.
- Communicate through written presentations.
Expectations of AP Spanish Students
In addition to OUR school expectations, I have the following expectations for OUR classroom:
Make the effort to participate at all times in Spanish, learning circumlocution(explaining in the language when you can’t think of the word) is an important skill.
Become familiar with different Spanish /Latin American customs and traditions.
Work towards improving your Spanish, by using the language when among classmates or Spanish speaking friends in school and outside of school.
FYI: OHS offers the opportunity for you as an AP Spanish student to receive the Georgia Biliteracy Diploma Seal if you score a 4 or higher on the AP Spanish Lang and Culture exam and have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 in English.
Also OHS offers the opportunity to receive the International Skills Diploma Seal which your enrollment in this course helps meet part of the requirements. Please see Sra. Thurston for all the requirements if interested in this seal.
*Academic Integrity Policy:
The use of language translators (human or electronic, etc.) is strictly prohibited on ANY assignment in the world language classroom. Their use also constitutes academic dishonesty. All assignments should be your own work. Should it be determined that a translator has been used, your work may not be accepted for a grade.
“I understand the course requirements and expectations outlined in the Honors Spanish II course syllabus. I also understand that the use of language translators is a form of cheating and will be treated as such.”
Student name ___________________________ date
Parent name _____________________________ date