• Frequently Asked Questions 

    1. What is Dual Enrollmwnt (formerly MOWR)?

    Dual Enrollment is a process through which a high school student takes one or more courses from an approved state public or private post-secondary institution and receives credit at the high school and at the post-secondary institution.  

    2. What are the benefits of Dual Enrollment participation?

    •   Eases the transition from high school to a post-secondary environment

    •   Provides students an early start on their college/technical careers

    •   Offers meaningful and challenging academic experiences to qualified students

    •   Provides early college opportunities for students to try who normally would not attend college

    •   Students will have flexible scheduling opportunities because courses can be taken anytime and on-line

    •   College tuition and expenses are fully or mostly paid for saving the parents/students money and time

    •   Reduces course requirements and attendance time after high school graduation


    3Where can I take Dual Enrollment courses?

    Dual Enrollment courses can be taken on a college campus, online or at the Academy for Advanced Studies.

     4.   Who do I contact if I want my child to be a Dual Enrollment student?

    The law requires a conference with your child’s high school counselor. In addition, the school counselor has a form for your signature ensuring that you have been advised about the dual enrollment/dual credit programs that are of interest to your child.

    5.   Is transportation provided for students between the high school and AAS?

    Bus transportation is provided for students between AAS and the high school.  No transportation will be provided directly from a student’s residence.  Students who choose to provide their own transportation may obtain an AAS parking pass by presenting a parking pass from their home school.


    6.  Will Dual Enrollment affect my HOPE cap?

    No. Courses approved for DE will not count against the cap for the HOPE scholarship.


    7. Can I still participate in sports or other extra-curricular activities at my high school?

    Yes! However, in some cases, course schedules and requirements may prevent you from participating.


    8. Can Dual Enrollment courses be taken during the summer?

    Yes, DE courses may be taken during the summer.  A participation agreement must be completed, if they student has not already completed the agreement as is done in the fall and spring terms, and a counselor must meet with the student to develop a schedule.  


    9. Do students have to complete a FAFSA?

    FAFSAs are not required for DE students, if the student is under age 18. However, if the student is age 18 at the beginning of the term or will turn 18 during the term funding is sought, the student may have to complete a FAFSA.


    10.  Will I still have to take EOCs for related dual enrollment courses? 

    • End of Course (EOC) requirement for Dual Enrollment/Move On When Ready enrollees
      • These provisions are effective beginning with the Winter 2016 EOC administration that opens Monday, November 28, 2016.
      • These students, who earn post-secondary credit for a course associated with an EOC, are exempt from the requirement to take certain EOCs.
      • To ensure high schools are not negatively impacted, the post-secondary course grade will be used in the accountability system (CCRPI).
      • The table below provides an overview of the EOCs eligible for exemption and those that are not eligible.


    Required of All Students

    Allowed Exemption

    Ninth Grade Literature & Composition

    American Literature & Composition

    Coordinate Algebra or Algebra I

    Physical Science

    Analytic Geometry* or Geometry*

    US History



    *Analytic Geometry/Geometry are not allowable as a dual enrollment/MOWR option. 

    11.  Will college credits earned in high school transfer to all colleges and universities?

    Students who earn college credits while in high school may decide to transfer to another post-secondary institution after graduation.  College credits may or may not transfer, depending on the courses or programs of study.  Check with the colleges before registration to see what courses will transfer.   

    12.   What happens to a student who drops or withdraws from a dual course?

    Dropping or withdrawing from a dual course will cause the student not to receive the college credit and not to receive the equivalent high school credit. Dropping a course could affect the following: graduation requirements, class rank, and grade point average. Please see HCS Checklist for additional information.


    13. Who is responsible for notifying the schools if a student withdraws/drops out of any their course(s) during the semester/quarter?

    The student has the responsibility of contacting both the college and the high school counselor immediately, if the student is making the decision to drop, withdraw or change any dual courses. This decision may have serious consequences affecting: the student’s ability to graduate on time, the Grade Point Average (GPA), and the continuation of Dual Enrollment.

    Additional Frequently Asked Questions can be found here.