The 1938 Classroom and Museum is located in the Administrative Offices of Henry County Schools. The museum and classroom offers a look through the time glass to view how the building originally looked. The building was completed in 1938 and the first graduating class walked the stage in 1939. The school opened as McDonough Consolidated High School but actually housed grades 1st through 11th. The building also operated as McDonough High School, Henry County High School, McDonough Middle School and McDonough Elementary School. The building ceased to operate as a school when the last bell rang on May 24, 2002, and students marched from the building for the last time. The building was then closed and renovation began to reopen as Administrative Offices.The Steinway Piano which was purchased by the PTA in 1950 from the Brown Family in McDonough was refurbished during the renovation period and proudly holds a place of honor in the Boardroom.The museum houses memorabilia of days past, as well as, several oral interviews from former students, staff and community persons. The museum is opened daily to the public.We are actively seeking former students and staff members to do oral interviews, as well as any memorabilia for the museum. For information regarding the museum or to schedule an oral interview, please contact Sylvia Burch in Administrative Services at 770-957-6601.
Last Modified on May 18, 2009