Woodland Middle School
Course Syllabus for 7th grade Language Arts
Teacher: Tori Collins
Course Name: 7th grade English/ language arts
Teacher: Tori Collins
Course and Description: 7th Grade English Language Arts
School to Home Communication:
Remind: To sign up text @fh22g9 to 81010
Ms. Collins’ webpage (direct web address- https://schoolwires.henry.k12.ga.us/Domain/167)
Infinite Campus Portal- updated weekly
School’s Website: https://schoolwires.henry.k12.ga.us/Page/119112.
Core Resources: The ELA department does not issue textbooks to students. However, we will use textbooks within the classroom to aid in student learning.
Teachers will use the Henry County Teaching and Learning Standards (HTLS) as the foundation for teaching and learning. You can located the HTLS on the Henry County
Throughout the school year students will be required to complete various standards based projects. These projects will be assigned with reasonable time for completion, a set due date and a grading rubric so that students are aware of how their work will be scored.
- 1 ½ inch binder
- Notebook paper (300 sheet pack needed- College rule)
- 5 pack divider tabs
- Hand Sanitizer
- Clorox/ Lysol Wipes
- Paper Towels
Woodland Middle School Grading Norms/ Grade Recovery
Students have the following opportunities for grade recovery during each 4½-week period: Students will not be able to make-up or re-do assignments beyond the 4½-week period. Grade recovery opportunities will be determined with the teacher before/after school, during working lunch or during designated times at teacher discretion.
Practice Work (Homework/Classwork and Written Reflections)
- Teacher feedback on assigned practice work is not required after the original due date, but self-reflection on practice is encouraged.
- Teacher feedback on formative practice work within a timely manner.
- For practice work not submitted on the due date, submission and grading will need to take place within the 4½-week period.
- Students who fail to turn in practice work as assigned must make-up the work by the end of the 4½-week period. Late work will receive a maximum score of 70%.
Assessment Tasks (Constructed Response Assessments, Selective Response Assessment, and Summative Unit Assessments)
- Students can make corrections to common quizzes and/or retakes and receive half credit for corrections. The format in which quiz corrections are competed will be at the teacher/content discretion.
- Quiz corrections and/or retakes should be complete and submitted within the 4½-week period.
Semester Summative Assessment Tasks (Semester Final Exams)
- All grades attained for the exam will be final. There will be no opportunities for grade recovery in this category.
HCSS Excused Absence/Make-up Work Policy: When students are absent, it is the responsibility of the student-not the teacher-to get missed assignments and to make up (and turn in) all missed notes, tests, assignments and/or homework. Students are expected to make up missed tests/turn in projects on the first day following any absence. Students have a number of days equal to the number of missed days to make up all other assignments.
Class Behavior Consequences:
The following warnings will occur prior to your child receiving a BITE:
- Warning One- Sign Behavior Log
- Warning Two- Sign Behavior Log and Private review of 7th grade/ class expectations/ rules
- BITE protocol will be implemented
Immediate Office Referral:
Fighting, Severe Disrespect, Refusal to Comply, Vandalism, Theft, Stopping Class from Functioning