Dear Parents & Families,
This letter is to introduce the Parent Mentor team, for the Exceptional Student Education Department (ESE) in Henry County Schools. We are Katherine Rule and Tossana Rahim, and are very excited to work with you as a partner in your child’s academic success. Our combined experiences, both personally and professionally, gives us a deep passion for students with disabilities. We are committed to ensuring that all children get the special care and education afforded to them according to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). Our primary goal is to bridge the gap and promote partnerships between parents and educators.
Our goals include building partnerships between home, school and community by:
- Supporting parents/families
- Attending IEP meetings
- Providing resources and assistance
- Facilitating parent workshops
- Visiting school sites
- Hosting a Parent Resource Fair
(Please note this is not an exhaustive list)
By providing workshops, resources, and opportunities for collaborative engagement, our hope is to help you as parents in the following ways:
- Be Informed- Empower you to be able to ask questions, get to know school staff and understand the policies that affect your child’s education.
- Be Trained- Help you become knowledgeable about the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act and the contents of the Georgia Department of Education’s Special Education Guide: A Parent’s Guide to Understanding Rights and Responsibilities.
- Be Prepared- Create a plan to help your child based on their individual needs, that ensures you and school team members are working collaboratively.
- Be Involved- Develop ways to share your ideas, participate in support groups, parent trainings and meetings. VOLUNTEER! Help school staff discover meaningful and effective ways to support your involvement at home and in the school.
We look forward to hearing from and working with you! If you have any questions, concerns, or ideas to share, please feel free to contact us at:
Office: (770) 957-8086
Katherine Rule ext. 04103 email@example.com
Tossana Rahim ext. 04222 firstname.lastname@example.org
Your ESE Parent Mentors