Important facts: Fractions, Decimals and Percents represent numbers that are less than a whole number.
A fraction has two parts. A denominator which is the number of pieces that a something started with and a numerator which represents the number of pieces that are remaining. 4/8 may represent what was once a whole (1) pizza with eight slices that only has 4 slices left.
This fraction of the remaining pizza can also be represented in decimal form by dividing the numerator by the demonimator. 4 divided by 8 = .5 of a whole pizza is left.
This decimal can then be converted into a percent by moving the decimal two places to the right and adding a % sign. .5 is equal to 50% of the pizza is left. A percent is based on 100 and can be converted simply to a fraction by dropping the percent sign and placing the number over 100. 50% is 50/100.
Fractions to Decimals
In order to convert or change a fraction to a decimal follow these steps.
1. Divide the numerator by the denominator. (Divide the top number by the bottom number)2. If the bottom number is bigger than the top number, you will have to add a decimal point.
3. Move the decimal point up to the top of the division box. This will hold your place in the correct spot.
4. Add a zero behind the decimal in the box.
5. Divide the number in the box always adding an additional zero if needed until you have worked the problem or at least to the 3rd decimal place if your answer does not divide out evenly.
6. If your answer repeats, add a bar over the number to indicate that the answer is a repeating decimal.
Go to this Website for examples and to practice this concept.
Decimals to Percents
In order to convert a decimal to a percent just move the decimal two places to the right and add a percent sign.
Percents to Fractions
1. Drop the percent sign.
2. Put the number over 100.
3. Simplify the fraction.
Percent of Number
Commonly used to determine sales tax, interest and shopping sales.
Change the percent to a decimal and multiply the number that you want to find the percent of.
EXAMPLE A pair of jeans cost $35.OO, but today they are on sale for 15% off. How much will you save? And how much will you pay?
Change 15% to .15. Multiply $35.00 by .15. The answer is the amount you will save $5.25. The amount you will pay is $35.00 - $5.25 = $29. 75