Rock Spring Elementary GiftedGifted Support Teachers 1st - 5th GradesSarah Nell Griffis Alicia LoughnerGifted Remote Learning Plan for Week of 3/16/20203rd-5th Grades should check Google Classroom.
We will miss seeing all of our students these next couple of weeks. We know they are always eager to learn, so we wanted to be sure to provide them that opportunity. The
opportunities for each grade level are shown below:
• 1st and 2nd Grades: Students were given lima bean seeds, a ziploc bag, directions for making their own greenhouse (from the ziploc bag and wet paper towels), and a log to
record their observations. We can't wait to see what they observe in their miniature greenhouse.
• 3rd Grade: Students will continue to work on their Hightower Habitat designs. We will post further directions on our 3rd Grade Gifted Google Classroom before Monday morning.• 4th Grade: Students will continue to prepare for their Fairy Tale Trials. This week they will continue their table of evidence from the text (with their group) and will finish their
Opening Statements (individually). Check Google Classroom Monday morning for more guidance.
• 5th Grade: Students should check Google Classroom for Social Studies stations beginning Monday. The following week, we will focus on our Chemical and Physical Change
unit and will post activities on Google Classroom.
We will both be available (by phone or email ~ see email through Campus Messenger) with any questions you may have.2019-2020 Gifted Supply List1st Grade Gifted ~ Monday 9:50-2:152nd Grade Gifted ~ Tuesday 9:50-2:153rd Grade Gifted ~ Wednesday 10:30-2:154th Grade Gifted ~ Thursday 8:50-2:155th Grade Gifted ~ Friday 8:50-2:15Gifted Lunch is from 12:19-12:49.All gifted students will go to specials with their homeroom class at their normal specials time.
Gifted Cluster/Collaborative Model
- In a personalized learning environment all students work at their own pace and path through ELA and math standards. This allows for acceleration and/or the building of deeper knowledge.
- Students receive pre-assessments to determine areas for acceleration.
- PBL units are utilized to give all students access to higher depth of knowledge in science, social studies and ELA.
- Gifted students are placed in groups in a gifted certified teacher’s classroom or in a classroom with a teacher that plans each week with a gifted teacher.
- The gifted support teacher will pull students out to receive gifted resource services.
1st – 5th Gifted Resource
- All students will receive 225 minutes of resource each week.
- Each grade level will come to gifted class one full day each week.
- Mrs. Griffis and Mrs. Loughner will teach gifted students and provide choices in a variety of enrichment activities and units which may include STEM, coding, art exploration, project based learning, and authentic learning designed to deepen student learning and knowledge of content.
Testing for the gifted program occurs throughout the year. Students from kindergarten through 5th grade can also be referred for gifted testing by parents or teachers who see an indication that participation in gifted classes would be beneficial for that child.For students to be tested for gifted the students must first be referred by a parent or teacher. Then the students will be screened. This part consists of a team of teachers looking at the student's data in academic areas, creativity and motivation. Parents will then be notified if their child has qualified for testing and will need to sign and return an additional letter giving permission for testing. The students are tested in academics, mentalibilities, and creativity. A motivation checklist is also filled out by the student's teacher. Parents will be sent the testing results by mail after testing is completed.If you have any questions regarding the testing process please e-mail us. Thank-you!