Teacher: Eric Edwards
Online Program: Read 180/System 44
Textbook: Real Book/44 Book
Course Description: Both Read 180 and System 44 are an intense, comprehensive reading intervention programs used to increase students’ reading levels. Each student receives instruction that is individually designed for their current reading level and writing skills. These programs consist of whole and small group direct instruction, independent reading, writing practice, and computer-based individualized instruction.
Read 18o/System 44 Activities/Rotations: Students will spend 20 minutes at each rotation.
- Whole Group or Small Group – Students will receive teacher-led instruction to help them master the skills from the whole-class workshop
- Independent Reading – Students select articles and novels at their reading level and read them in a comfortable, quiet environment. These are available on the Read 180 app.
- Instructional Software (Computer Work) – Students receive individualized, computer-guided instruction in reading, vocabulary, fluency, and writing using the Read180 instructional software.
- Charged Chromebook
- Notebook paper
- Real Book (will be provided)
Practice Work - Counts 40% of the grade
Read 180 App Segments
Real Book practice pages
Assessment Tasks - counts 40% of the grade
- Workshop Interim Checkpoint Assessments
Semester Summative Assessment Tasks
- End of Workshop Assessments - counts 20% of the grade
Read 180 Class Expectations:
- Come prepared for learning each day.
- Bring needed materials (charged Chromebook, folder, paper, writing utensil, etc.)
- Participate as an important member of the class.
- Participate on the Read 180 student app 2-3 rotations a week.
- Participate in independent reading 2-3 rotations a week.
- Complete and pass the independent reading quizzes.
- Plan to conference with the teacher about your reading progress and goals.
- Respect other participants’ right to a safe and polite environment for learning.
- Strive to do your personal best!
If you are absent from class, it is the student’s responsibility to make up all work in a timely manner.
Technology/Cell Phones: Technology is for educational purposes only. No games during class. Your attention and participation is required for the entire class period.