HIGH SCHOOL CREDIT IN MIDDLE SCHOOL
Students in middle school have the opportunity to earn high school credit in a number of classes. These classes can include math, science, world languages, and arts. Stockbridge Middle School offers Physical Science, Algebra I, Spanish I and Spanish II. Courses offered in middle school will follow the same standards, curriculum, and procedures found in the high schools.
- 80% of the student's grade will be determine by course work, assessments, and projects assigned in the class.
- 20% of the student's grade will be determined through a Georgia Milestones End of Course Assessment or a final exam
- In courses that have an assigned Milestones assessment course credit will not be granted unless the assessment is completed.
- All coursework completed in middle school for high school credit will not be calculated in the HOPE GPA
- All coursework completed in middle school for high school credit will appear on the high school transcript and will impact the overall high school GPA
- Students have the option to re-take the course again as a freshman under the following circumstances:
- Student withdraws from the course at some time during the school year. (thus not earning credit)
- Students taking Coordinate Algebra and/or Physical Science as 8th graders, are to be strongly advised by counselors/ schools in both MS and HS of the following:
- Take a 5th year of math as a senior. This is particularly essential for college bound students.
- Not taking a math course senior year greatly jeopardizes college entrance and will negatively impact student success on college entrance exams and applications.
- Take a 5th year of Science as a senior. Not taking enough rigorous science classes greatly jeopardizes college entrance and success on tests like the ACT.