Ola Middle School will be offering 4 high school credit courses for the 2020-2021 school year.
8th grade students will have the opportunity to earn high school credit in the following courses:
Algebra I, Carnegie Physical Science, Art, and Spanish I.
SPACE IS LIMITED IN ALL COURSES!
Courses offered in middle school will follow the same standards, curriculum, and procedures found in the high schools.
- 80% of the student's grade will be determined by course work, assessments, and projects assigned in the class.
- 20% of the student's grade will be determined through a Georgia Milestones End of Course Assessment or a final exam.
Beginning in 20-21, middle school students in enrolled in high school ELA, Math, and Science courses with a corresponding EOC are required to take both the EOG and the EOC.
- So any students in middle school who are taking HS courses with associated EOCs will have to take the 8 th grade EOGs and the associated EOC test in 2020-2021.
- The EOG score will be used in the middle school CCRPI the year the test is taken.
- The EOC score will be used in the high school CCRPI score the year the student enrolls as a ninth-grade student.
In courses that have an assigned Milestones assessment, course credit will not be granted unless the assessment is completed.
- All coursework completed in middle school for high school credit WILL NOT be calculated in the HOPE GPA.
- All coursework completed in middle school for high school credit WILL appear on the high school transcript and will impact the overall high school GPA.
Students have the option to re-take the course again as a freshman under the following circumstances:
- Student withdraws from the course by the end of October . (thus not earning credit)
- If the student is enrolled in the course on December 1, the student must complete the remainder of 1st semester as well as the 2nd semester course and will not be able to drop the course, regardless of performance or grade.
- If the student is enrolled in the course on December 1, the final grade for each semester will be posted on the high school transcript, regardless of the final grade and will be calculated into the student’s high school GPA.
Students taking GSE Algebra I and/or Physical Science as 8th graders, are to be strongly advised by counselors/schools in both MS and HS of the following:
- Take a 5th year of math as a senior.
- This is particularly essential for college bound students as not taking a math course senior year greatly jeopardizes college entrance and will negatively impact student success on college entrance exams and applications.
- Take a 5th year of Science as a senior.
- Not taking enough rigorous science classes greatly jeopardizes college entrance and success on tests like the ACT.
By taking high school credit in middle school, consider and pay attention to the next sequences of courses in your high school plan: Review Course Sequence Here
Last Modified on October 12, 2020