Language - the words we use and how we use them to share ideas and get what we want
Parents - Below are free websites available to help foster your child's language skills as well as tips to encourage growth
Quia - articulation and language games http://www.quia.com/pages/havefun.html
Tips to encourage language skills:
- Remember your language level - don't use words or sentences that your child will not understand. Speak to them using language they can understand, and explain any new words.
- Repeat grammatical errors in corrected form.
- Gain the student's attention before speaking.
- Use open-ended questions rather than those which can be answered by one or two words.
- If a student does not respond to your question/comment, repeat your communication in simpler, less complex form.
- Observe and comment - when you are playing with your child, take a step back, do not feel that you have to fill the silences, justocmment on the things your child is doing so they can hear (and learn) the new vocabulary.