• Frequently Asked Questions

    General Information

    Special Education Transportation

    Preschool Services

    Related Services




    General Information

    1.  Where is the Exceptional Students Education (ESE) complex located?

    The ESE complex is located at 33 N. Zack Hinton Parkway. It is a modular complex located behind the Board of Education. Access to the complex is located on Tomlinson Street. The ESE department is located in buildings A.


    2.  How do I get a copy of my child’s records?

    Records may be requested at the ESE Department at the Henry County Board of Education. Please call 770-957-8086 to make a request for records and to arrange a time for pick up. A photo ID must be presented at the time of pick up to ensure the confidentiality of student records. If records are needed by other agencies, a parent or guardian must sign a release granting permission for records to be sent to non-educational agencies.


    3.  How do I contact an administrator at the Exceptional Student Education office for assistance?

    Visit our website https://schoolwires.henry.k12.ga.us/site/Default.aspx?PageID=37639 for a complete list of Special Ed. Coordinators.


    4.  How do I get my child into special education?

    Students are referred for a special education evaluation by the Student Support Team. Data is collected through a multi-tiered system of interventions based on evidence-based scientific research. Interventions and frequent monitoring of these interventions must occur at each tier. If interventions are not successful, the student will be referred for a special education evaluation.


    5.  How long will it take to get my child into special education?

    Once documentation of your child’s response to interventions is collected and a referral for a special education evaluation is requested, the local school system has 60 calendar days as defined by GaDoe rules from the time informed written parental consent is received to complete the evaluation.


    6.  If my child is referred for a psychoeducational evaluation, when will the evaluation take place and who should be contacted for a status update?

    Evaluations are processed, in a timely manner, in the order in which they are received. You may contact Wanda Williams, the Lead Psychologist in the Psychological Services Department at 770.957.8086 to determine if a referral has actually been received. If it is a first-time psychoeducational evaluation request and it has not been received in the psychological services department, you should contact your school’s Student Support Team Chairperson. If it is a re-evaluation request you should contact your school’s Special Education Chairperson.


    7.  What is the role of a Student Support Facilitator (SSF)?

    Provide support to parents and educators in the areas of Special Education and the Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS).


    8.  What are program area classes?

    Program area classes are established as a result of the specific needs of students with disabilities. Typically, students in these program area classes attend school outside their home school. The IEP Team determines placement in these program area classes.

    Examples of cluster classes in Henry County:

    · Preschool

    · Autism

    · Mild, Moderate and Severe/Profoundly Intellectually Disability

    · Emotional Behavioral Disorders

    · Specific Learning Disability

    · Kindergarten Special Needs

    · Orthopedic Impairment

    · Deaf/Hard of Hearing


    9.  What is "co-teaching?"

    Co-teaching occurs when a special education teacher and a general education teacher share the teaching responsibilities in a class which includes students with and without disabilities. Both teachers are equally responsible for planning, delivering instruction, grading, assessing, implementing the IEP, and managing the classroom for all students. Instruction is enhanced for students when there are two teachers in a room with different areas of expertise. The general education teacher provides expertise in the content area while the special education teacher provides expertise in specialized instruction.


    10.  If a student with a disability receives special education services in a resource setting can a regular diploma be earned?

    Yes, a student with a disability who receives special education services in a resource setting can earn a regular diploma. In order for the classes taught in a resource setting to earn regular credit, the curriculum and instruction provided must mirror what is taught in the general education classroom.


    11.  Will colleges accept credits earned in a resource setting?

    Yes, colleges will accept high school credit earned in the resource setting.


    12.  What is the Georgia Alternate Assessment (GAA)?

    The Georgia Alternate Assessment (GAA) is a key component of the Georgia Student Assessment Program. Under the No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB) and the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), the local school system must ensure that all students, including students with significant cognitive disabilities, have access to a general curriculum that encompasses challenging academic standards. The local school system must also ensure that all students are assessed for their progress toward meeting academic standards.

    For additional information, visit the GAA website at http://www.gadoe.org/Curriculum-Instruction-and-Assessment/Assessment/Pages/GAA.aspx


    13.  How do I find out information about the Georgia Special Needs Scholarship/SB 10?

    The Georgia Special Needs Scholarship Program is a scholarship program for students with disabilities created by Senate Bill10 (SB-10) during the 2007 Georgia State Legislature. Parents interested in the private school scholarship, may visit the GADOE Georgia Special Needs Scholarship website at http://www.gadoe.org/External-Affairs-and-Policy/Policy/Pages/Special-Needs-Scholarship-Program.aspx.  This site will serve as the one stop shop for parents and schools interested in the Georgia Special Needs Scholarship program. Additional information is available on the Henry County website at https://schoolwires.henry.k12.ga.us/Page/35525 


    14.   What is Extended School Year (ESY) and who is eligible to attend?

    Extended School Year is the extension of special education and related services beyond the normal designated school year and is determined by the Individual Education Program Team.

    Extended School Year services are available for students who require them. Data on student’s IEP goals and objectives must be presented to document the need for ESY services. The IEP Team should discuss whether or not ESY services are needed as part of the student's free and appropriate public education (FAPE). The factors to be considered are the student's age, severity of the disability, progress on goals/objectives, contents of any applicable transition plan, rate of progress or rate of regression which may limit the student's ability to achieve goals/objectives, relative importance of the goals at issue, whether related services are needed to enable the student to progress toward goals, and whether or not there were any delays or interruptions in services during the school year to affect emerging skills.


    15. What are my rights as a parent of a student with disabilities?

    For a copy of parental rights, please click Parental Rights or visit the Georgia Department of Education website at http://www.gadoe.org/Curriculum-Instruction-and-Assessment/Special-Education-Services/Pages/Parent-Rights.aspx  


    16. How can I find out more about the new IDEA rules and regulations in Georgia?

    You can get information regarding IDEA rules and regulations at the Georgia Department of Education website at http://www.doe.k12.ga.us/ci_exceptional.aspx?PageReq=CIEXCImpMan

    At the beginning of the manual is the Table of Contents that divides topics into easily understood segments. The chapters share the information through “Frequently Asked Questions” format.


    17. How do I find out information regarding Special Olympics?

    Special Olympics provides year-round sports training and athletic competition for children and adults with intellectual disabilities. Twenty-three different sports are offered for athletes to experience. Special Olympics Georgia is a grassroots effort made up of volunteers working to support the program.


    Special Education Transportation

    1.  Is there transportation for students with disabilities?

    Transportation is provided to students with disabilities through the IEP process.


    2.  Who coordinates special transportation?

    Rosalyn Gibby coordinates transportation for students with disabilities. She can be reached at the transportation department @ 770-898-7382.


    3.  Who is eligible for special education transportation?

    A student with physical, medical, emotional/behavioral and/or intellectual disabilities whose IEP indicates the need for transportation is eligible for special education transportation.


    4.  How do I receive special education transportation for my child?

    Transportation must be a recommended service on the student’s IEP. Following an IEP decision, the school will complete a transportation request form and send it to the ESE department.


    5.  How long does it take to arrange special transportation?

    The Transportation Department requests 1 to 3 school days before transportation begins. The bus driver will contact the parents before pick-up begins.


    6.  Who should I contact if there is a change in my address or in the pick up/drop off location?

    If information changes regarding transportation needs, please contact your child’s teacher or Elizabeth Qunita @ 770-957-8086 in the Exceptional Students Education Department.


    7.  Can my regular education child be transported on the Special Education bus with my student with a disability?

    No, Special transportation is only provided to students with disabilities as a related service to the IEP. Students who receive an education without an IEP are provided transportation through conventional means. 


    Preschool Services

    1.  What agency should I contact if I suspect my child aged birth to two years old may have a disability?

    Contact Babies Can’t Wait if you suspect your child may have a disability. The telephone number for Babies Can’t Wait-District 7, which serves residents of Henry County, is 1-800-847-4262.


    2.  What agency should I contact if I suspect my preschool aged child (3-5 years of age) may have a disability?

    You may contact Kym, Administrative Assistant for Preschool Special Needs, at 770-957-8086 to request a referral packet to begin the process. Henry County Schools provides services for preschoolers beginning at age three who are eligible for services.


    3.  Does Henry County Schools provide Preschool Lottery based programs?

    No, the school system is not affiliated with the Bright From the Start program. A listing of daycares and other providers that house and provide the programs in Henry County is available on the Bright From the Start website at http://www.decal.state.ga.us/


    4.  Where can my child get his hearing evaluated?

    Henry County Schools refers students enrolled in the school system or individuals being evaluated for services to Griffin RESA for an audiological evaluation. Evaluations are free to students in Henry County. A referral must initially be provided by an employee of Henry County Schools. If your child is referred for an audiological, you may contact the scheduling secretary at 770-229-3247 (Griffin RESA) for an appointment. For additional information, visit the Griffin RESA website at http://www.griffinresa.net/.


    Related Services

    1.  What is Community Based Instruction (CBI)?

    Community-based instruction occurs routinely, on a regularly scheduled basis (twice monthly) and must be specifically related to and reflected in IEP goals/objectives. All students who receive community-based instruction must have goals and objectives in their current IEP that are specifically related to community instruction. Students need specific consumer, recreational, and vocational objectives in their IEPs in order to receive community instruction.


    2.  What is Community Based Vocational Instruction (CBVI)?

    The purpose of Community Based Vocational Instruction is to provide adjustment and prevocational programming for students with disabilities at the high school level. It is to give them the opportunity to prepare themselves to become productively employed, and socially responsible citizens. In terms of employment, students will participate in unpaid community work experiences such as vocational assessments, vocational exploration, and vocational training. Community-based vocational training uses the facilities, materials, persons, and/or tasks within a business to teach and assess students' work and related tasks. The actual business environment is considered an extension of the classroom. Teachers and support staff perform their instructional and evaluative roles within the context of these business environments.


    3.   Are Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, and Assistive Technology services available in Henry County?

    Yes, these services are provided if they are required in order for the students with disabilities to benefit from their special education services.


    4.  Who qualifies for OT/PT?

    OT/PT services are based upon educational needs and not medical needs related to student performance in school. Eligibility for these services are determined by an evaluation and considered as a part of the child’s IEP.


    5.  Are Augmentative Communication or Assistive Technology services provided for students?

    If a student requires Assistive Technology devices or service, or if the student has specialized communication needs, Henry County Schools will provide those services in accordance with the student’s IEP.


    6.  If these services are needed who should I contact?

    Contact the Exceptional Student Education Department Chairperson at the student’s school. If additional questions arise regarding service or medical needs, contact the Exceptional Student Education Department @ 770-957-8086.



    1.   My child is in Special Education. Can he/she be suspended from school?

    Yes. Students in Special Education can be suspended; however, there are federal and state laws which provide students with disabilities certain protections in regard to suspension/expulsion. For additional information, contact the Georgia Department of Education’s website at



    2.  What is the role of the IEP committee during a disciplinary hearing?

    The IEP team considers the evidence and reviews the student’s special education records in order to determine if the misbehavior is caused by, or directly related to, the student’s disability. If it is determined that the misbehavior is related, the IEP team recommends placement and intervention options to assist the student in correcting his/her behavior. If it is not related, the IEP team develops a plan to provide special education services during the duration of the suspension or expulsion given by the hearing officer. 


    Due to injury, illness, or recurring medical condition my child will be absent from school. How can I request hospital/homebound services for my child with disabilities?

    Parents should contact their child’s school to obtain forms to request hospital/homebound services.


    What is RTI?

    Response to Intervention is based on the concept of providing evidence-based instructional and behavioral strategies matched to student needs and monitored on a frequent basis by highly qualified school staff members.  The information gathered by this approach is used to make decisions regarding the student’s educational program.

    For more information, click on the link below. 

    Response To Intervention - A Parent's Guide