At New Hope Elementary, our main goal is to maintain the best possible learning environment for student learning and achievement. This is a reminder about our dress code guidelines. As teachers, we are charged with enforcing the dress code set forth by the Henry County School System and making judgments about what we deem as inappropriate. We greatly appreciate your help with this matter. Please read the following dress code guidelines.
Students should come to school with their hair neat and well-groomed. Students must wear shoes to school (skate-shoes are not allowed). Clothing should be neat, clean, and worn properly (pants and skirts shall be worn at the waist). Clothing should not be too tight, too loose, too short, or too long, and should not have inappropriate writing or pictures. Extreme hair styles and unnatural colors that, in the opinion of the principal or the principal’s designee, would interfere with learning or be a health or safety hazard are not permitted. Wearing any clothing, jewelry or other items symbolizing gang affiliation is prohibited.
- Pants may not have holes above the knee.
- Shorts, skirts, culottes, split skirts or dresses must be no more than three inches above the knee. This includes with leggings or shorts underneath.
- Leggings, spandex, and yoga pants are acceptable as pants but the accompanied shirt (tunic) must completely cover the child’s bottom.
- All pants (including skinny jeans) and skirts shall be worn at the waist at all times.
- Hats or caps should not be worn during the school day.
- Tank, tube and halter-tops, including spaghetti or bikini straps and low cut shirts are not permitted. Sleeveless shirts are permitted as long as they extend to the shoulder and the straps are thick enough so that the undergarments are not visible. Please be mindful with V-neck shirts and low cut shirts.
- Shirts should not be transparent. If a shirt is transparent, students must wear a tank top or camisole underneath so that undergarments are not visible.
- Extreme Hair Styles– Hair color and style should not cause a disruption of the learning environment. Spiked mohawks are not allowed.
- If your child wears flip-flops to school, they will not be allowed to play on the playground equipment as it is a safety issue. Flip-flops break so often that we recommend not wearing them at all.
If dress code violations occur, the teacher will notify the parent in writing for the first offense unless the violation is deemed too inappropriate. If the violation warrants immediate action or the child has already received a written warning, then we will contact you to bring your child a change of clothes. If parents are unable to bring a change of clothes, a school shirt, if available, may be provided if it relieves the problem.
Thanks in advance for your cooperation regarding student dress code. Please contact Mrs. Miller or administration if you have any further questions about dress code.