HCS Students Shine at National History Day Competition
Click the image to view photos from the National Contest and National placers back in Georgia!
HENRY COUNTY, GA – In what has become an annual occurrence, multiple students from Henry County Schools have returned from the National History Day competition in Maryland with several accolades to show for their hard work.
Each school year, students nationwide begin the work of a National History Day (NHD) project. In fact, more than half a million middle and high school students participate annually. Through a series of competitions at the school or district, regional, and state levels, the top 1% from each affiliate state have the opportunity to compete at the national contest, held annually each June at the University of Maryland in College Park, MD.
Due to the strength and growth of their district-level conference, Henry County was afforded the opportunity to serve as their own region this year, with over 200 students competing at that level. From the Henry County Regional National History Day Competition, students then advanced to the state competition, held at LaGrange College, where 16 students representing 6 projects placed first or second in the state. In addition, several Henry County students were recognized with third place awards, honorable mentions, and various special awards. Those students who placed first or second qualified for the national competition. Georgia proudly took 70 delegates to NHD this year and the Henry County delegates included:
- Kaitlyn Gordon, Jayda Hendrickson, Kira Warren (8th grade, Henry County Middle) Junior Group Performance
- Josiah Holley, Garrett Jenkerson, Timothy Jones, Marquis Jordan (8th grade, Ola Middle) Junior Group Performance
- Elijah John McCoy-Washington (8th grade, Impact Academy) Junior Individual Website
- Kennedi Anderson, Emily Garrison, Haleigh Massie, Makenna Massie (10th grade, Impact Academy) Senior Group Performance
- Imani Milligan (9th grade, Henry County HS) Senior Individual Performance
- Angel Yang (10th grade, Luella HS) Senior Individual Documentary
Overall, the Georgia delegation performed very well at the national competition. When taken as a group, roughly 40% of Georgia’s entries finished in the top third nationally. Contributing to this success was Henry County with two projects placing at the highest level:
- Second Place, Senior Group Performance: Kennedi Anderson, Emily Garrison, Haleigh Massie, Makenna Massie (10th grade, Impact Academy)
- Fifth Place, Junior Group Performance: Kaitlyn Gordon, Jayda Hendrickson, Kira Warren (8th grade, Henry County Middle) *These students also received the Award for Outstanding State Entry.
The 2019 Henry County Regional NHD Competition was held March 4-7th.
Click the image below to access photos from competition week and the Regional Awards Ceremony.
Are you ready? We are here to help!
See info about upcoming sessions and access the 2019 Rule/Theme Book.
Click the logo below to access the 2019 NHD Theme Book.