**Test Taking Tips – For Parents** (From the Georgia Dept. of Education)
- Encourage your student to employ good study and test-taking skills. These skills include: following directions carefully, avoiding careless errors, and reviewing work.
- Explain the purpose of the tests. The assessments give students an opportunity to show what they have learned in school. They also give teachers information that helps them plan instruction.
- Point out that some items may be more difficult than others.
- Be certain your student gets plenty of sleep and has a healthy breakfast and lunch. Taking tests is hard work for many students and can require a lot of energy.
- Be certain your student is on time. Rushing and worrying about being late could affect performance on the tests.
- Remember to ask your student about the testing at the end of the day.