Degrees and Certifications:
I wish to welcome you to Wesley Lakes Elementary! Congratulations! You are the parent of a first grader! You will be amazed at just how much your child will grow and develop this school year. Most likely, your child has had the seeds of reading and writing planted. During the first grade those seeds will grow and blossom, making your child an accomplished reader and writer! You will see changes in your child’s thinking as he/she becomes familiar with abstract concepts and symbols. The change will be dramatic—just compare a tiny seed with a full grown sunflower. That’s the kind of growth you’ll see this year!
Ways to Help Your Child Bloom
The loveliest flowers usually have the best gardener – and that’s you! Staying involved in your child’s education is the key to a successful year. Engage your child in conversation about his/her day. Another way to stay involved is to check your child’s take home folder EVERY evening. You’ll usually find it packed with school assignments, homework, flyers, notices from the office, as well as notes from the teacher. As daunting as it may be, try to sort through them and read each one. They often contain important information and reminders. Your child should come to school the next day with a fairly empty folder – just homework and notes for school.
We teachers are always available to meet or speak with you. If it is NOT urgent, please jot a note or send a message through Bloomz and we will respond ASAP. In return, we will contact you if there is something we would like to discuss.
Here’s a few of my strongest beliefs regarding education and children:
- I believe that every child is talented and capable of learning, and has unique gifts and strengths that should be celebrated.
- I believe that children need encouragement, consistency, clear expectations, and healthy boundaries.
- I believe that by providing a comfortable and safe environment, children will feel empowered to take risks involved in learning new things.
- I believe that a very big component of being a first grade teacher is helping students build self-esteem, confidence, and healthy social relationships.
- I believe that reading makes good readers! It really does!
- I believe that learning should be hands-on, interactive, and imaginative, integrated, and most importantly FUN!
- I believe that Parent/Teacher communication is extremely important to each child’s academic and social success in first grade.
- I believe that I can teach more effectively when working in a partnership with you and your family.
On a final note, I want you to know that I am very excited and honored to have this special opportunity of being your child’s First Grade teacher. I hope to make your child’s learning experience a fun and exciting one, as well as instilling a love of learning that your child will carry with them throughout their life.