• Qualifying Life Event Changes


    How to Declare a Qualifying Life Event?

    Insurance coverage may be changed when a qualifying life event occurs.  The most common qualifying life events are:

    • Marriage

    • Divorce

    • Birth/Adoption/Legal Guardianship

    • Death

    • Loss/Gain of coverage through spouse's employment

    • Medicare eligibility


    For the State Health Benefit Plan (SHBP): www.myshbpga.adp.com or call (800) 610-1863

    For GaBreeze: www.gabreeze.ga.gov or call (877) 342-7339

    Instructions on how to declare-

    1. Log in

    2. Click on "Declare Qualifying Event"

    3. Declare your qualifying event on the day your coverage is lost or gained.

    *The date of the event is the date that coverage is lost or gained.

    *Be sure to retain each confirmation given.

    *SHBP and/or GaBreeze will notify you by email and/or U.S. mail requesting the supporting documentation and providing deadline dates for submission.  Failure to submit as directed by result in loss of the requested benefit update and requested update of coverage.  If assistance is needed, please contact the Benefit Office directly.


    Examples of supporting documents to enroll in coverage are as follows:

    -Marriage certificate (if enrolling spouse) or a copy of your last tax return

    -Birth Certificate for each child being covered

    -Guardianship/adoption papers if enrolling a child

    -Documentation stating the reason coverage ended, the date coverage ended and who was covered.  This documentation could be in the form of  a separation notice and the letter(s) of creditable coverage.  An alternative may be a letter from the spouse's employer on company letterhead providing the required information.

    -Copy of divorce decree signed by the judge


    Examples of support documents to drop/reduce coverage are as follows:

    -A letter from spouse's employer stating the reason for loss/gain of coverage, date coverage begins and list all covered dependents

    -Death certificate if dropping a spouse or child

    -Divorce decree if dropping a spouse