Austin Road Middle School
Austin Road Middle School will cultivate an environment for creativity, innovation and leadership where we exceed expectations every day.
Austin Road Middle School strives to develop a nurturing school community that encourages academic success for each scholar through a rigorous curriculum and extracurricular opportunities supported by dedicated teachers and staff.
Remote Learning Health Syllabus
Instructor: Kimberly Mixon, Ed.S.
Students in middle school demonstrate comprehensive health knowledge and skills. Their behaviors reflect a conceptual understanding of the issues associated with maintaining good personal health. They serve the community through the practice of health-enhancing behaviors that promote wellness throughout life.
School issued chromebook (preferred), composition notebook, pencil/pen (blue or black ink)
Georgia Performance Standards
HE 1: Students will comprehend concepts related to health promotion and disease prevention to enhance health.
HE 2: Students will analyze the influence of family, peers, culture, media, technology, and other factors on health behaviors.
HE 3: Students will demonstrate the ability to access valid information and products and services to enhance health.
HE 4: Students will demonstrate the ability to use interpersonal communication skills to enhance health and avoid or reduce health risks.
HE 5: Students will demonstrate the ability to use decision-making skills to enhance health.
HE 6: Students will demonstrate the ability to use goal-setting skills to enhance health.
HE 7: Students will demonstrate the ability to practice health-enhancing behaviors and avoid or reduce health risk.
HE 8: Students will demonstrate the ability to advocate for personal, family, and community health.
Remote Learning Units of Study
Goal Setting / Decision Making
A = 100 – 90 B = 89 – 80 C = 79 – 74 D = 73 – 70 F = below 70
Grading Policy (Category Weights)
Practice Work: 40% of grade
- Class Assignments
- Notebook Checks
Assessment Tasks: 40% of grade
Semester Summative Assessment Tasks: 20%
- End of Term Health Based Project
Henry County Schools provides high school and middle school parents and scholars access to grades via Infinite Campus Portal on the Internet. Please contact the school counselors and/or secretary to obtain your password.
Scholars will be evaluated on non-academic factors as follows through the conduct grade:
S--Satisfactory N--Needs Improvement U--Unsatisfactory
Virtual Classroom & Face to Face Classroom Expectations
- Come to class prepared every day.
- Actively participate in every lesson.
- Complete all assignments to the best of your ability.
- Be open minded in your mathematical thinking
- Collaborate with classmates when necessary.
- Be supportive and respectful to your classmates and teacher.
- Take breaks before class begins (virtual and face to face).
- Avoid the use of inappropriate comments/posts in the chat section of the virtual platform.
*Discipline Disclaimer - Inappropriate behavior will be reported to parents and administrators for further corrective actions.
- On the first day back from an absence, scholars are responsible for attaining and completing any missed assignment(s). The number of days allowed to complete make-up work will be commensurate with the number of days in which the scholar was absent. Failure to comply with this procedure will result in a grade of zero (0) being given for any graded assignment(s) that the teacher gave during the time of the scholar’s absence.
- Scholars assigned out-of-school suspension (OSS) will be allowed to make-up work upon return to school. The number of days to complete the assignment(s) is commensurate to the number of days of OSS (i.e., 3 days of OSS = 3 days to make up missing assignments).
*c. If a scholar misses class during remote learning, they should access remote learning plans/assignments on the Remote Learning page of the school website to attain and complete assignments.
Late Work Policy
Assignments that are not submitted on time will receive an “M” (missing) within the Infinite Campus gradebook. All scholars will be given ample opportunity to submit their work through activities to include but not limited to amnesty day(s), working lunch, before/after school tutorial, etc. After the task has been submitted, the teacher will then replace the “M” in Infinite Campus with the earned grade. Any assignment not submitted by the end of the term, in which it was assigned, will remain as a permanent grade of zero (0%) within the Infinite Campus gradebook for the remainder of the semester.
It is the scholar’s responsibility to find out what they miss when they are absent. Extra credit is given randomly throughout the year. Please take advantage of it. It is not given out by request.
Don’t forget to join REMIND to receive one-way messages from the teacher!!
Remember to join using YOUR CHILD’S NAME
Remind Codes: Text code to the number 81010
Virtual tutoring will be available every Friday during your class period. Please schedule an appointment in advanced.
Chromebook use is allowed only during “power on” technology time. Chromebook usage is for instruction only. It is the scholar’s responsibility to ensure that his or her Chromebook is fully charged.
Cell phones are not permitted in the classroom.