Degrees and Certifications:
- Early Childhood Education (P-5) - Teacher Support Specialist - Educational Leadership
Mrs. Lois Barney
It is with great honor and excitement that I introduce myself as Austin Road Elementary School’s principal. My passion for education and supporting the success of all students has been shaped over the past 26 years as a teacher in grades first through fifth, an instructional coach, and an assistant principal. In each of these roles, I have sought to ensure the success of each student and school by providing the best instructional opportunities and support possible.
It is my goal to continue to strive for academic excellence by promoting the growth mindset, retaining highly qualified teachers, implementing personalized learning, promoting student agency, analyzing data, and establishing a supportive culture and climate for all stakeholders. Most importantly, our school motto “Always Reaching Excellence, Excellence in Everything” will continue to be implemented through great collaboration with students, parents, and teachers. I believe, with enthusiasm and pride, we can develop a community of believers. Therefore, promoting an environment where all stakeholders feel valued and working together to develop 21st century learners are my top priorities.
Once again, I am so thankful and extremely excited to have the opportunity to serve as your principal. We will work together to develop a school we are all proud of and be one of the best schools in the Henry County.
Mrs. Lois Barney
Austin Road Elementary School
Dear Parents or Guardians,
Welcome Back! We are incredibly excited to begin the 2018-19 school year at Austin Road Elementary. We will embark on this journey with a pledge to you, combined with your support and personalized learning, this will be a year of engaging, meaningful and rigorous work in our classrooms.
We are so excited to greet our new and returning students. Our theme this school year is, “Super Heroes”. The focus this year is to work collectively as one team with all students and families. Our vision is to become a high performing school where life-long learning is fostered through creativity, communication, collaboration, and critical thinking. We have aligned our School Improvement Goals with Henry County School District’s three strategic priorities:
- Unify Henry County around excellence in public education.
- Strengthen our core business of student learning.
- Ensure a high performing environment for all students.
The safety and well-being of our students and staff is a high priority at ARE; it is imperative that all visitors adhere to the following safety procedures throughout the school year:
- All visitors must report to the main office to sign in and get a visitor’s badge upon entering the building.
- Students may arrive no earlier than 7:15 a.m. The tardy bell rings at 7:45 a.m. All tardy students must be signed by an adult in the front office at that time.
- Early checkouts must take place by 2:00 p.m. All adults must present a picture ID when checking out a student. Students will not be allowed to leave the building with anyone who is not listed on their emergency card (yellow card). We cannot accept change of the methods in which students go home on the phone or via email. Any changes must be written (letter) and/or updated on the emergency card. A suggestion is to go ahead and put all adults that you would approve for pick-up on the card ahead of time in the event of an emergency.
- The first week of school is exciting! Students may be escorted to classrooms during the first week of school. A “Kiss and Go” area in the front lobby has been designated for parents who would like to watch their child(ren) walk to class after the first week.
- Parent luncheons are encouraged with your child(ren). The “Parent’s Dinning Table” is designated for parent luncheons. We respect the quality time you are having with your child; therefore, other students who are friends/close family members are not allowed to join you and your child.
- If your child is celebrating a birthday, cupcakes may be served to the class during the last 15 minutes of the lunch period. To resume instructional time, your child must return to the classroom with their peers.
- Threats, bullying, and intimidation are prohibited in Henry County Schools. Students should report any violations to an adult (teacher, parent, counselor, or administrator). Reported incidents will be investigated and handled administratively.
- As a Title I school, all families are required to complete a lunch form for the 2018-2019 school year.
- Hats, unnatural colored hair, toys, pocketknives, water guns, or anything that can be used as a weapon are not allowed on campus. Please review the Henry County Schools Handbook for approved dress codes, policies, and procedures.
Please discuss the aforementioned information with your child. If you have any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to contact an administrator or faculty member. Your input is valuable to us; therefore, there are several methods of communication you may utilize throughout the school year: Dojo, agenda, email, website, or scheduled conference.
Thank you in advance for your support as we strive to provide the very best educational experience to your family!
Principal, Austin Road Elementary