I wish to welcome you to Fairview Elementary, home of the Mighty Eagles! You will be amazed at just how much your child will grow and develop this school year. Most likely, your child has had the seeds of reading and writing planted. During their elementary career those seeds will grow and blossom, making your child an accomplished reader, writer and thinker! You will see changes in your child’s thinking as he/she becomes familiar with abstract concepts and symbols. The change will be dramatic—just compare a tiny seed with a full grown sunflower! That’s the kind of growth you’ll see this year!
"What is ESOL and What is the Goal?"
ESOL is English to Speakers of Other Languages. Students who did not learn English as their native tongue and/or continue to use other than English as a dominant language would be considered an English language learner. Our goal is to give students special attention while learning and practicing English so they can integrate the language into a regular classroom.
Ways to Help Your Child Bloom
The loveliest flowers usually have the best gardener – and that’s you! Staying involved in your child’s education is the key to a successful year. Engage your child in conversation about his/her day. These are very important skills that should be nurtured daily.
Here’s a few of my strongest beliefs regarding education and children:
- I believe that every child is talented and capable of learning, and has unique gifts and strengths that should be celebrated.
- I believe that children need encouragement, consistency, clear expectations, and healthy boundaries.
- I believe that by providing a comfortable and safe environment, children will feel empowered to take risks involved in learning new things.
- I believe that a very big component of being an ESOL teacher is helping students build self-esteem, confidence, and healthy social relationships.
- I believe that reading makes good readers!
- I believe that writing makes good writers!
- I believe that clear communication enhances a child's speaking ability.
- I believe that learning should be hands-on, interactive, and imaginative, integrated, and most importantly FUN!
On a final note, I want you to know that I am very excited and honored to have this special opportunity of being your child’s ESOL teacher. I realize that we are in unprecedented times and it may feel rather strange. However, with your help, I hope to make your child’s learning experience a fun and exciting one, while instilling a love of learning that your child will carry with them throughout their life.