Release Date: For Immediate Release
Calendar Approved for 2013-2014 School Year
HENRY COUNTY, GA – The Henry County Schools Board of Education approved the 2013-2014 school calendar at the January Regular Board Meeting. The first day of school next year will be Monday, August 5, 2013.
Due to budgetary restraints resulting from stagnant local home values and dwindling state funding, a 175-day student calendar was adopted; however, the district still exceeds the state minimum instruction time required for all students. To also meet budget needs, all employees will incur five furlough days and administrators will incur six furlough days.
The Board of Education has maneuvered the school system through tough fiscal times to help minimize the impact of the recent down economy. Approximately two-thirds of school systems across the state this year have a reduced calendar. The most extreme reductions have seen calendars down to as low as 144 days for students and up to 15 furlough days for employees.
“We wanted to propose a regular 180-day student calendar and a full work calendar for employees to our Board, but funding from the state continues to decrease and the local economy has not made enough of a change for the better to impact things positively for our budget,” said Assistant Superintendent for Finance Jeff Allie.
Other notes of interest regarding the calendar:
· Fall Break will be the second week in October. (October 7-11)
· Students will not be in school on Election Day due to a professional learning day. (November 5)
· Schools will be closed the week of Thanksgiving. (November 25-29)
· The end of the 1st semester is December 20. The break then follows with 11 days for students (December 23 – January 6) and 10 days for employees (December 23 – January 3).
· Winter Break is the third week in February. (February 18-21)
· Spring Break is the second week in April. (April 7-11)
· The last day of school and graduation occur on Friday, May 23, 2014.
· Other one-day holidays for students and employees are Labor Day (September 2), Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (January 20), and Presidents ’ Day (February 17).
· Students will also not be in school for a professional learning day the second Monday in March. (March 10)
· The system will be closed for Independence Day (July 4, 2013) and Memorial Day (May 26, 2014).
The calendar is posted on the district website at schoolwires.henry.k12.ga.us.