Welcome to the Graduation Coach's page
Mrs. R. Kustick
e-mail: email@example.com phone: 770-474-5710
Graduation Coaches have been in Henry County Middle Schools for the past ten years. For nine of those ten years, one year as a classroom teacher, I’ve had the privilege of being SMS’s Graduation Coach. The three focus areas when working with students include:
- New Student Orientation: Young people, new to SMS, will spend two days learning about SMS and all it has to offer.
- Organization: Academic organization is paramount to a successful school year, if help is needed, contact me.
- Community Clothes Closet: Through the generosity of teachers and community people, we have a complete clothes closet for our students. If your child needs clothes, please contact me.
- Goodness and Groceries: We are so fortunate to have a Partner in Education like Stockbridge Presbyterian Church or SPC. They provide meals to students in need on Friday to be eaten during the weekend. The church provides meals not only to SMS students but students in need at Cotton Indian, CIES and Smith Barnes Elementary Schools, SBES.
- Christmas: Students at SMS, CIES, and SBES are adopted by people at SPC. This year, with assistance from teachers’ at all three schools, SPC will provide Christmas meals for 40 families along with gifts for over 120 children.
- BOGO and Lunch Money Paid: SPC gave the students who participate in Goodness and Groceries a $10 gift card to be used at our fall Scholastic Book Fair Buy One Get One Free Sale. Besides doing that, the church paid over-due lunch accounts in the Cafeteria at the beginning of the 2015-2016 school year.
- We value our relationship with the people of Stockbridge Presbyterian Church. Their help and support is deeply appreciated.
- Tiger Cans: Students at SMS come together with each homeroom bringing in a specific canned food item which is then given to SPC to replenish their Food Pantry.
- Life 101: This program is for 8th graders, who on November 19, 2015 were transported to the year 2025. Each had a specific persona of his or her ‘future self’. The object of the game is to pay all bills (i.e., housing, utilities, transportation, child care, insurance, clothing, wheel of ‘unexpected events’, and groceries) and have money left at the end of the game or the end of the month. All materials were sent home with students to be reviewed and discussed by both students and parents. The discussion usually includes a ‘Thank You’ from the students to the parents.
- Speaker’s Career Bureau: Once a month, professionals from the community visit SMS and speak to students about careers. To-date we’ve had the following speakers:
Gregg Starr, UPS· Dr. Bates, Biology· Wanda Moore, Architect· Deanna Baker, Social Work
Alyssa Fleury, PEI Transportation· Anthony Frazier, Radiology· Carmen Hough, Health Care Educator
All 8th grade students participated in Life 101 on November 19,2015.
· Attorney Michelle Clark, will speak to students on Tuesday in
- February 2016
· Vanessa Gibson, Owner and Artistic Director of Eagles Landing
Celebrating FFA (Future Farmers of America), with students from
Stockbridge High School and spoke about FFA and the
- Ms. Lacy, Business Manager for Dr. Liliana Mejia, DDS,
- Orthodontist in Stockbridge, GA
The Graduation Coach works closely with SMS’s Counselors and Parental Involvement Person.
Last Modified on July 28, 2016