Smith-Barnes Elementary School
147 Tye Street
Stockbridge, GA 30281
Smith-Barnes Elementary School is located in the city of Stockbridge, in Henry County, Georgia, one of the most rapidly growing counties in the United States.
Smith-Barnes first opened its doors in the fall of 1955. The school was constructed to replace the Stockbridge Rosenwald School, which was one of thousands of schools built in the rural south in the early part of the twentieth century to educate young African Americans. These schools were built with funding from the Julius Rosenwald Foundation, established by one of the early presidents of Sears & Roebuck.
Smith-Barnes sits on 15 acres of land, six of which were donated by Mr. Leonard Smith, an African American leader in the community at that time. His wife had been principal of the Rosenwald school. Smith-Barnes Elementary takes its name from the Smith family and the name of its first principal, Ms. Rena Barnes.
The school was completely renovated in 1996.