STEAM @ Hampton Elementary Charter School is…
S = Science T = Technology E = Engineering A= Arts M = Math
- a philosophy of teaching that encourages and supports creativity and innovation in K-5 students.
- STEAM schools provide challenging, student-centered, inquiry-based experiences for students. Students should integrate skills from different subject areas in order to solve real world problems.
- STEAM education is designed to prepare students as responsible citizens for success in the real world, college, and work experiences.
- No matter what the career path, STEAM teaches students how to problem solve, think creatively, collaborate with others to come up with solutions, and communicate with one another.
- STEAM education is a direct response to the knowledge that our future will be built on technological leadership, innovative thinking, and critical problem solving.
- STEAM schools better prepare their students for their role in a global environment where they will be better equipped to compete for jobs, ideas, etc.
- STEM education is one of many keys to help unlock a child’s future.
- A STEM enhanced education unleashes the potential and creativity of students as well as giving them the skills they need in order to develop revolutionary ways of thinking and problem solving. These same students must also be firmed adept and grounded in basic math and science principles.
STEAM at Hampton Elementary Charter School is not…
- STEAM is not only for those students and teachers interested in math, science, engineering and technology.
- STEAM approaches help all students develop and apply an essential set of skills through a diverse and rigorous curriculum. These skills can be used in all fields, not just those specific to STEAM.
- STEAM is not a book, curriculum, workbook, class, or “thing”.
- STEAM is a philosophy of education. It is not the “What” of the curriculum; it is actually the “how”.
- STEAM is not “one size fits all”.
- Each school must develop its own STEAM integrated approach in order to fit the needs of its students. It is a highly personalized form of education and should reflect the premise and guiding beliefs of the school.
STEAM enhanced teaching…
- Embraces creativity, logic, critical thinking, higher order thinking, divergent thinking, cooperative work!
- STEAM projects and activities can be wonderfully messy works-in-progress, especially as students progress in critical thinking and HOTS (Higher Order Thinking Skills).