End of an Era
August 1954, McDonough Elementary School opened its doors for the very first time under the leadership of Toombs Mobley, the first principal. McDonough Elementary served Henry County students in first through seventh grades. Throughout the years, McDonough Elementary would change its name to McDonough Primary, serving Kindergarten through second grades and then in 2002, its name was changed back to McDonough Elementary. McDonough Elementary presently serves students in preschool through fifth grade. If the halls of MES could talk, they would speak of the thousands of boys and girls that have been educated for the past 61 years, several of which still come back today as mentors and tutors. They would speak of the hundreds of teachers who have covered the school walls and classrooms with displays of student papers, artwork and most especially love. This spring, as the school year ends, so ends an era as McDonough Elementary will close its doors for the last time. The building will once again be transformed into another Henry County Schools facility, serving middle and high school students. This is a bitter sweet goodbye as we, who have been students in this facility, have taught in the classrooms, have prepared the lunches, have kept the building spotless, have overseen the administrative operations, have fixed the boo boos, have greeted the visitors, have entrusted our children in the care of those inside, all go our separate ways. As the late Dr. Theodore Seuss so fittingly said, "Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened", oh, the places we’ll go sharing the love of a place we all called McDonough Elementary.